Skip to content
(Part-Time) Lead Data / Software Engineer
Who we are?
Engagement Labs is an innovative, industry-leading data and analytics firm that focuses on the social ecosystem and its impact on business. Our TotalSocial® platform is the only platform that combines online and offline data with predictive analytics. Our team consists of awarding-winning industry experts with deep knowledge and experience in social media (online) and word of mouth (offline) marketing. Our clients are a diverse group of Fortune 500 brands and companies.
Engagement Labs maintains offices in Montreal, QC, Canada and New Brunswick, NJ, USA.
As a part-time Lead Data Engineer, you will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data for cross functional teams. You are an industry veteran and mentor, with a successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large datasets.
You will focus on the design and build out of data models, codification of business rules, mapping of data sources to the data models (structured and unstructured), engineering of scalable ETL pipelines, development of data quality solutions, and continuous evaluation of technologies to continue to enhance the capabilities of the Data Engineering team and broader Product and Analytics teams.
As a part-time Lead Data Engineer, you will support our data backend developers, data analysts and data scientists and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture and processes are consistent throughout ongoing projects. You are self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. You are excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
What does ultimate success look like in this role?
- You work jointly with the Front-End team to ensure the definition of API endpoints is well understood and their requirements are supported
- You value collaborative development, this can be read in the quality and readability of your code and in your thorough code reviews
- You think about QA and testability before you actually implement anything
- You are mindful your work doesn’t stop when something works on your local computer : you work collaboratively with DevOps, think about migration, deployment, test coverage and documentation
- You are promoting a culture of self-serve data analytics by minimizing technical barriers to data access and understanding
- You take pride in optimizing and cleaning code, and leave a program in a better shape than you found it
- You will support Data Analytics and Data Science teams to ensure their needs are best served by the pipelines and processes in place.
- You will make recommendations to Chief Technology Officer and/or Product Manager as to what needs to be improved.
To qualify for this part-time job, you must meet these minimum requirements:
- More than 20 years of software engineering experience with a concentration in data ETL processes, databases, and systems integration. Ideal candidate has retired from a large technology company and has the ability to work remotely at times.
- Well versed in software development methodologies, testing, release management, and maintenance.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL). A SQL veteran, you also have working familiarity with non-SQL databases such as Cassandra and Mongo.
- You are an expert with object-oriented/object function scripting languages, with a strong foot on Python.
- Good knowledge of DevOps and CI practices, ability to spec and setup the right environments and deployment procedures, proficiency with Docker and Jenkins.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills. Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills, experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- You are very organized with a keen attention to detail.
- You manage your time effectively and are transparent about the decisions you make and the steps required to achieve your goals.
- You are passionate for new technologies and enjoy exchanging knowledge and ideas.
- You take pride in your work and derive satisfaction by covering all possible scenarios.
- You believe that there is always a way to find common solutions when expressing your point of view clearly and staying positive.
- You like helping and mentoring your co-workers.
If you recognize yourself, we should talk. Send us your resume mentioning the position at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in Engagement Labs.
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted.