Skip to content
Lead Data Engineer
Who we are?
Engagement Labs is an innovative, industry-leading data and analytics firm that focuses on the social ecosystem and its impact on business. Our TotalSocial® platform is the only platform that combines online and offline data with predictive analytics. Our team consists of awarding-winning industry experts with deep knowledge and experience in social media (online) and word of mouth (offline) marketing. Our clients are a diverse group of Fortune 500 brands and companies.
Engagement Labs maintains offices in Montreal, QC, Canada and New Brunswick, NJ, USA.
As a Lead Data Engineer, you will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data for cross functional teams.
The Lead Data Engineer will focus on the design and build out of data models, codification of business rules, mapping of data sources to the data models (structured and unstructured), engineering of scalable ETL pipelines, development of data quality solutions, and continuous evaluation of technologies to continue to enhance the capabilities of the Data Engineering team and broader Product and Analytics teams.
As a Lead Data Engineer, you will support our data backend developers, data analysts and data scientists and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture and processes are consistent throughout ongoing projects. You are self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. You are excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
What does ultimate success look like in this role?
- You are promoting a culture of self-serve data analytics by minimizing technical barriers to data access and understanding
- You are taking ownership for optimizing and developing new data flows in accordance to the roadmap agreed on with the Chief Technology officer and Product Owner / Manager
- You are taking leadership in optimising and designing data engineering architecture and processes, and in guaranteeing the quality of data models, quality and delivery.
- You are taking a leading role in collaborative architecture sessions with the rest of the Technology team.
- You are working collaboratively with DevOps to make sure data engineering initiatives are properly supported at the infrastructure level
- You are mindful of business priorities and can think out of the box to solve complex requirements
- You will inspire, support, mentor and build the Data Engineering Team, and horsepower development of Data Engineering initiatives.
- You will support Data Analytics and Data Science teams to ensure their needs are best served by the pipelines and processes in place.
- You will make recommendations to Chief Technology officer and/or Product Manager as to what needs to be improved.
To qualify for this full-time job, you must meet these minimum requirements:
- 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained a Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL). A SQL veteran, you also have working familiarity with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra and Mongo.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, using technologies such as Airflow or Luigi, and in managing big data sets using Spark, Hadoop, Kafka or similar.
- Expert with object-oriented/object function scripting languages, with a strong foot on Python.
- Good knowledge of DevOps and CI practices, ability to spec and setup the right environments and deployment procedures, proficiency with Docker and Jenkins.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Experience building processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- You are very organized with a keen attention to detail.
- You manage your time effectively and are transparent about the decisions you make and the steps required to achieve your goals.
- You are passionate for new technologies and enjoy exchanging knowledge and ideas.
- You take pride in your work derive satisfaction by covering all possible scenarios.
- You believe that there is always a way to find common solutions when expressing your point of view clearly and staying positive.
- You like helping your co-workers.
- You are excited to work for a start-up and aware of the challenges and opportunities this involves.
- You believe that working hard and having fun are compatible.
If you recognize yourself, we should talk. Send us your resume mentioning the position at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in Engagement Labs.
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted.