Skip to content
Backend Developer / Data Engineer
Who we are?
Engagement Labs is an innovative, industry-leading data and analytics firm that focuses on the social ecosystem and its impact on business. Our TotalSocial® platform is the only platform that combines online and offline data with predictive analytics. Our team consists of awarding-winning industry experts with deep knowledge and experience in social media (online) and word of mouth (offline) marketing. Our clients are a diverse group of Fortune 500 brands and companies.
Engagement Labs maintains offices in Montreal, QC, Canada and New Brunswick, NJ, USA.
As a Backend Developer, you are responsible for maintaining, developing and testing the backend of our TotalSocial analytics platform. You work collaboratively with Front-End developers, QA and DevOps to implement and deploy quality releases.
As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data for cross functional teams. Mentored by our data engineering lead, you will contribute to the design and build out of data models, codification of business rules, mapping of data sources to the data models (structured and unstructured), engineering of scalable ETL pipelines, development of data quality solutions to enhance Product features and support data access of Analytics teams.
What does ultimate success look like in this role?
- You are a team-player, and value collaboration and communication as a part of your work. You are involved and a good communicator in sprint planning and reviews, your code is documented, your stories are updated and you are a recognized for your valuable and thorough code reviews.
- You think about testability of your code before jumping into it. You take pride in increasing code coverage.
- You value quality, and thrive to continuously improve on any piece of code you find.
- You are a valuable contributor to systems architecture sessions with the rest of the Technology team.
- You are working collaboratively with DevOps to make your initiatives are properly supported at the infrastructure level, you consider migration scripts, environment setup and deployment thinking an integral part of programming.
- You are mindful of business priorities and can think out of the box to solve complex requirements
- You are promoting a culture of self-serve data analytics by minimizing technical barriers to data access and understanding.
- You will support Data Analytics and Data Science teams to ensure their needs are best served by the pipelines and processes in place.
- You will make recommendations to Chief Technology officer and/or Product Manager as to what needs to be improved.
To qualify for this full-time job, you must meet these minimum requirements:
- 3+ years of experience in a Backend / Data Engineer role, Graduate degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL).
- Full proficiency with PHP and Python. Experience with web frameworks such a Symfony and Django a plus.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, using technologies such as Airflow or Luigi, and in managing big data sets using Spark, Hadoop, Kafka or similar, a plus.
- Good knowledge of DevOps and CI practices, ability to spec and setup the right environments and deployment procedures, proficiency with Docker and Jenkins.
- Strong debugging skills
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Experience building processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment
- Good experience working with Agile (scrum)
- You are very organized with a keen attention to detail.
- You manage your time effectively and are transparent about the decisions you make and the steps required to achieve your goals.
- You are passionate for new technologies and enjoy exchanging knowledge and ideas.
- You take pride in your work derive satisfaction by covering all possible scenarios.
- You believe that there is always a way to find common solutions when expressing your point of view clearly and staying positive.
- You like helping your co-workers.
- You believe that working hard and having fun are compatible.
If you recognize yourself, we should talk. Send us your resume mentioning the position at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for the interest you have shown in Engagement Labs.
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted.